Bank Holiday events for all the family
IF you're looking for inspiration on how to spend the weekend, here is a roundup of bank holiday events:
● RHS Garden Rosemoor, Torrington is bursting into glorious colour, and promises a great day out for all the family. More than 50,000 spring bulbs have been planted in the meadow areas throughout the garden, and have now developed into season-long sweeps of colour.
For all you Art and Craft lovers — don't miss the Spring Craft Fair taking place from Saturday May 2 - Monday May 4 (10am – 4pm). Children of all ages can take part in the Spring Garden Trail. Have fun following the clues and take your completed trail to the shop before leaving to claim your prize. The whole family can have fun spotting plants, insects and sights around the garden.
Details on: 01805 624067.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
● It's the traditional Jack-in-the-Green celebrations in Ilfracombe this May Day weekend. At 11am on Monday (May 4), a sea of green will set off in procession. Led by the Town Crier, it will swing and sway along the High Street, before wending its way down to the seafront above Wildersmouth Beach.
After the children have assembled around the Maypole, to the vibrant beats of local drumming group Humdrum Conundrum, Maypole and country dancing displays will entertain crowds at the foot of Capstone Hill. This will be followed by displays of Morris dancing from local and invited teams, led by Ilfracombe Red Petticoats' clog dancers.
At the end of the dance performances, there will be the traditional Spirit of Summer finale as 'Jack' is stripped of his greenery on Wildersmouth beach.
● A day of fun for the family takes place at Bicclescombe Park, Ilfracombe on Saturday (May 2). Enjoy falconry displays (11.30am and 2.30pm); a Punch and Judy Show (12.30pm); Barnstaple Concert Band (1.15pm) and Ilfracombe Majorettes display (3.20pm). Throughout the day there will be children's entertainment, face painting and arts and crafts. There will also be tennis taster sessions for all ages and abilities, model boat demonstrations and a visit from Exmoor Zoo. Visitors will also be able to enjoy the boating pond, play area, gardens and tennis courts which are available to use at the park all year round.
To get to the open day, Filers buses will be running a free shuttle service between the park and Ilfracombe seafront between 11am and 4pm on the hour and at half past the hour. Parking is available at the park and the Lamda Factory nearby. Details: 01271 388326.
● The woods at Chenson Farm will be open on Sunday (May 3), Monday (May 4) and Sunday May 10. It's a chance to take a stroll in 60 acres of ancient and semi-natural woodland and across open farmland at a time of year when the wild flowers and especially bluebells are at their best.
Chenson Farm is an organic farm, producing chickens, arable crops, and beef cattle. Entrance is £1.50 each and there will be cream teams in aid of youth work in the schools and local area. Chenson Farm is situated on the A377 between Eggesford and Lapford.
Further information: 01363 83236 or e-mail scchandler @btinternet.com
● The Tarka Tennis Centre in Barnstaple will be holding tennis trials on Saturday (May 2), from 4pm for boys and girls from years six, seven and eight to go along and show off their skills. For more information on this trial and other upcoming Devon Games to Inspire trials visit: www.northdevon.gov.uk/gamestoinspire
● People4ponies have an open day at Horseford Farm, East Worlington on Monday (May 4), 11am to 4pm. Entrance is free with refreshments and cream teams available as well as a tombola and stalls selling books, plants and bric-a-brac. Enjoy pony handling demonstrations and activities for children. Details: 01884 860252.
● There's a local history day on Monday (May 4) at St Anne's Church, Bucks Mills. There's a talk about The Braunds of Bucks at 11am; a talk about the story of Bucks Mills at 2pm and a walk at 3.15pm.