Firefighters respond to eight chimney blazes in one day
Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service was kept busy on Saturday in responding to eight chimney fires in one day.
The first chimney fire at around 9:30 was at Black Dog, Crediton, Devon, soon followed by another at Shepton Beauchamp, Ilminster, Somerset and at Kingsbridge, Devon.
The eighth call was received just after 8pm from a property at Seymour Road, Newton Abbot.
The Fire Service recommends: "A clean chimney can help prevent fires and structural damage to your property. Regular cleaning of your chimney or flues will eliminate the build up of soot and clear obstructions such as bird or animal nests, leaves and debris. You will also reduce emissions into the atmosphere by assisting the complete combustion of the fuel."
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Wednesday, May 22 2013
The advice continues: "It is not sufficient to use a vacuum cleaner and you should ensure your chimney flue is inspected regularly to prevent fires breaking out. Remember that fire guards can prevent serious injury or death and spark guards can prevent a serious fire."
According to the Fire Service, chimneys should be swept:
- at least once a year when using smokeless fuels
- at least once a year when using bituminous coal
- every three months when using wood
- once a year when using oil
- once a year when using gas.