Firefighters tackle two chimney fires at thatched properties in North Devon
Fire crews were called to two separate chimney fires last night which both occurred at properties with a thatched roof.
Fire crews from Chulmleigh, Witheridge and South Molton were called to a property in Chulmleigh just before 6pm following reports of a chimney on fire.
Upon arrival, crews found a timber beam above a woodburner heavily involved in fire. Crews used small tools to cut the beam away and one hose reel jet to extinguish the blaze.
The fire involved a woodburner, the chimney and the beam overhead. It is believed no one was injured in the fire.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Later, firefighters from Hartland and Bude were called to a chimney fire at a pub in Welcombe. Crews extinguished the fire using chimney rods and small tools.
It is understood the fire didn’t spread to the thatch at either of the properties, although Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service has issued a reminder to home and business owners about the dangers of chimney fires.
Mike Burroughs, Fire Investigation Officer, said: “With the nights still being quite cold people have naturally been warming up their homes by lighting the traditional home fire, but without proper maintenance a chimney can become dangerous.
“To keep yourself and your family safe from fire you should take care to have your chimney swept regularly, depending upon what fuel you burn.
“If the worst should happen, a smoke alarm can give you the extra time you need to escape in a house fire – make sure you test yours regularly.”