Hot coals spark fire on farm
THE contents of a farm building were completely destroyed following a fire near Holsworthy on Monday.
Fire crews from Holsworthy, Hartland and Torrington were called to the blaze at Cleverdon Farm in Bradworthy at around 2.20pm.
On arrival, firefighters found a brick shed, about 4m by 2.5m, on fire.
Incident manager Steve Barfe said: "The owner had started putting out the fire with some garden hosepipes and we basically ensured the fire was completely out.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
"The shed was adjoining a large barn so we also checked the cavity in-between the two walls with a thermal imaging camera to see if there were any hot spots.
"The shed contained several storage boxes and items of low value which were completely destroyed by the fire. The shed was about 25 per cent damaged by heat and smoke."
Mr Barfe said the cause of the fire was accidental.
He said: "The farmer's wife had put some hot coals from a fire in a metal bucket outside the house.
"The farmer hadn't realised there were hot coals in the bucket and put them in the shed.
"It was good that they managed to control the fire with their own hosepipes, but they did the right thing by calling the fire service.
"Even if you think a fire is out, there might be hot spots you can't see which could reignite later on. It's better to be safe than sorry."