Man 'saved by neighbour' after tumble dryer fire in Combe Martin
A man who was treated for smoke inhalation following a fire at a property in Combe Martin yesterday was ‘saved by his neighbour’.
Fire crews from Combe Martin and Ilfracombe were called to reports of a fire at a house in West Challacombe Lane at around 8.40am.
Upon arrival, firefighters found one man suffering from smoke inhalation and called for an ambulance.
The man had been led to safety by a neighbour who had seen smoke pouring from the property, an action which the fire service said potentially “saved the man’s life”.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
The fire broke out in a tumble dryer situated in the utility room of the single-storey property.
Fire crews said the male occupant had tried to pour water on the appliance to douse the fire before going into another room.
As there were no batteries in the smoke alarms, it wasn’t until the quick-thinking neighbour noticed smoke billowing from the property that the alarm was raised and the man rescued.
He was treated at the scene by paramedics for the effects of smoke inhalation while firefighters tackled the fire in the utility room.
Crews used four sets of breathing apparatus, two hose reel jets and a thermal image camera to extinguish the fire and check for hot spots. The electricity and gas supplies were also isolated.
The fire caused 80 per cent smoke damage to the bungalow and the tumble dryer was severely damaged.
A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: “The Service would like to praise the neighbour for his actions, which could have saved a man’s life.
“The Service would also like to remind people to not put water on fires involving electrical appliances and to ensure you have working smoke alarms within your property.
“The cause of this fire is believed to be accidental.”