Nearly all Devon children will go to their first choice secondary school in September
Almost all children in Devon will be able to go to their first choice secondary school this September.
But there is disappointment for 12 families in the county who have not got the school they wanted.
Devon County Council said today that 97 per cent of the families which applied had been offered their first choice school.
That's an increase on last year's figure of 93.7 per cent.
In support of Armed Forces Day at the end of June we are offering £9.99 Family/Portrait Photographic sittings to anyone who holds a Police/Military I.D card! That's a saving of £25.01! Ends July 31/13
Terms: You must show proof of I.D when booking your shoot and pay £9.99 to hold your booking date and time. Only one shoot per family. A viewing day will be held roughly one week from the shooting date.
Contact: 01271 440968
Valid until: Wednesday, July 31 2013
Altogether 6,091 children have been offered places in Devon schools.
A further 464 were offered places in other local authority schools – for example in Plymouth or Torbay.
In all nearly 93 per cent of applicants used Devon's online service to submit their applications.
Devon's cabinet member for schools Andrea Davis said: "I am very pleased that we have been able to increase the number of first preferences this year.
"It is also very gratifying that we have been able to accommodate the vast majority of children in one of their three preferred schools.
"Naturally it is very disappointing for the 12 families who could not be offered a preference.
"However they have all been offered a place in a Devon school and are on the waiting list for their preferred option."
Parents get the chance to choose a first, second and third preference school for their child. But some only put one school down.