Woman and dog saved from living room blaze
A WOMAN and a dog had to be rescued from a first floor window using a ladder after a fire at a property in South Molton on Sunday.
Both had been evacuated from the house in East Street before the arrival of the town's fire crew at around 7am.
Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service said there was no smoke detector fitted at the property and have reminded homeowners of the importance of getting a smoke alarm and regularly checking that it is working.
The fire started in the living room of the property and is thought to have spread from the fireplace.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
Two crews – one from South Molton and one from Barnstaple – attended the scene, and wearing breathing apparatus, firefighters extinguished the blaze with a hose.
A thermal imaging camera was used to check the fire was out.