Part-time Chulmleigh DJ Peter England dies of suspected epileptic fit
A 21-year-old part-time DJ died at his home in Chulmleigh after a suspected epileptic fit, an inquest heard.
Peter England, of 2 The Green on New Street, in Chulmleigh, was found dead on June 15 last year in his bathroom by his housemate William Clifton.
The inquest into Peter's death was held at North Devon Magistrates' Court today.
William said Peter lived life to the full but in the two weeks prior to his death he had lost his job, fell out with his stepdad and had been found to be doing drugs in the village.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
However, William added that on June 14 he had been very upbeat and had said he "wanted to get off his face" and had found some codeine in the house.
The last time William saw him was at 10am on June 15 when Peter had returned from the bakery in Chulmleigh when he looked pale and was shaking, Peter said he needed sleep.
The court was told Peter was diagnosed with epilepsy when he was 12 after he had a seizure on holiday in France.
Peter's GP Ian Guildford said, in a statement read during the inquest, that Peter had also suffered from depression.
Mr Guildford added that Peter had struggled to accept help and didn't always take his epileptic medication.
Stephen Ebdy, who worked at Chulmleigh Bakery and was a friend of Peter's, said Peter had come into the bakery in the early hours of the day he died.
In a statement read out at the inquest, Stephen said: "He walked into the bakery and he sat with us while we had a break, he made us a cup of tea."
Stephen said he noticed Peter was shaking quite a lot and later complained of being very hot. He was noticeably sweating.
Peter joined Stephen on a delivery round and returned about 10am. Stephen added: "Pete was a fit bloke and always looked well but that day he looked rough."
William then found Peter in their bathroom at around 4pm after he had returned home from watching a film at his girlfriend's house.
He said: "I went into the bathroom and was shocked to find Pete on the floor. Despite my shock I knew he was dead."
Coroner Dr Elizabeth Earland returned an open verdict and suggested Peter had died from an episode of epilepsy.
She said: "Peter, an epileptic and dyslexic, collapsed in the shower and he had digested codeine.
"There is no evidence to suggest he died from an overdose.
"We are unable to say for sure what caused his death."